Latino students from Tuscalawas County explore culture through photography

Albert
featured image

New Philadelphia — For Dover High School sophomore Daisy Raymund, attending a summer art camp was an opportunity to explore her own Guatemalan culture through photography.

“It helped me learn more about who I am and what my culture means to me,” said the 15-year-old. I was able to connect more with the people who live in

The clothing and food images “show how colorful and beautiful our culture is,” she said.

Photographs on display at the opening night of the Adelante Arts Camp exhibition at the Tuskalawa County Public Library in New Philadelphia.

Her work, and that of nine other Latino and Hispanic students in grades 6-12, is on display at the Tuscarawas County Public Library at 121 Fair Ave. NW. They created the images and accompanying stories at the Adelante Arts Camp held in the summer. Adelante means “please” in Spanish. The theme of the camp is “The Art That Moves Us Forward”.

The camp was inspired by the Latino Mural Project organized by the Tuscarawas Arts Partnership and the Tuscarawas County Public Library System for Summer 2021. Students collaborated on the “Brighter Together” mural on the east side of MAD Bros. Games & Hobbies at 139 W. High Avenue in downtown New Philadelphia.

more:Brighten Together: 12-Panel Latino Mural Joins Public Art in Downtown New Philadelphia

Attendees on the opening night of the Adelante Arts Camp exhibition enjoy a light meal at the Tuscalawas County Public Library in New Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Joseph Welty Middle School 7th grade student Araceli Ajanel Herrera participated in both projects.

In the stories that accompany her photos, Araceli learned how to take proper photos and edit them to make them better.

“I’m happy with the pictures I took because they remind me of the moment I took them and I have good memories,” she wrote. I like.”

Tags