Kentucky Teenage Schools Need More Inclusive Sex Education

Albert
featured image

I distinctly remember the day my school taught me that version of sex education. A middle school PE teacher gave an offensive presentation about STDs/STIs and intermittently joked to make classmates laugh.

Today, as a high school student, this was the only time I was taught sex education. Of course, since I am a high school student, I know about sex. For most students, myself included, sex education comes from friends, siblings, or older teammates.

know the risks

What my peers don’t let me know is the risks inherent in sexual relationships with multiple partners and the importance of contraception.

This is the very reason our state has legislation that requires school districts to implement sex education in their curricula. Kentucky’s lack of an adequate sex education curriculum is particularly problematic, especially given the overthrow of the Roe v. Wade case.

Tags