How business leaders make the right decisions in uncertain times

Albert
featured image

I have previously taken a leadership course at Yale University in the United States. The course included group exercises to test your skills.

One of the exercises was a scenario regarding possible disputes between management members due to the limited number of parking spaces at work. The professor asked us to come up with a solution that would satisfy all management members.

One of my colleagues immediately replied that as chief executive, he didn’t need to consult with his colleagues. He made the decision and everyone had to agree to it.

Factors such as our cultural background, personality, and the environment in which we operate influence our decision-making. I have witnessed this in a course at Yale University and also among his members of my team.

But if there’s one thing that influences decision makers regardless of their background, it’s making the right decisions in uncertain times.

I cannot recall the number of times in the past two years that a business acquaintance and I have discussed difficult decisions.

Decision-making was efficient, but navigating the business during the Covid-19 pandemic slowed down the decision-making process.

You will find that it takes a little longer to think about the situation and make the right decisions. Talk to more people and do additional research.

During this time, I thought more about how every decision impacted my business, team, and overall performance.

I remember one of my business acquaintances deciding to take a one-year hiatus because he felt overwhelmed by the decision-making process and thought it would be better not to make any decisions and wait for the pandemic to pass. increase.

Of course, she had the luxury of putting her business on hold, something many entrepreneurs cannot do.

But as I navigated through the pandemic, I realized that what helped me through the tough times was thinking about how every decision I made aligned with my business mission and vision. I got

We begin all decision-making work with a few questions. Is this decision aligned with our mission and purpose? How will it affect our team and clients?

I don’t know what the next few years will bring, but having the right decision-making process and culture in place will make it easier to make the right decisions.

Manor Al Hinay

Another effective approach was to create a culture in which employees feel free to make suggestions.

We typically hold monthly meetings where everyone is invited so our team can raise concerns and suggest ideas.

But my work friends and I have found that everyone is comfortable sharing suggestions. Some people don’t want to appear to hold different opinions.

To receive the best suggestions and make the right decisions, we needed to create a space where employees felt comfortable making suggestions.

This can take many forms, such as an open door policy where employees can approach business leaders directly via email or set up an online meeting.

I don’t know what the next few years will bring, but having the right decision-making process and culture in place will make it easier to make the right decisions.

Manner Al Hinay is an award-winning Emirati writer and communications consultant based in Abu Dhabi.

Updated: Sep 19, 2022, 4:00 AM

Tags